AT&T Red River Showdown
Red River SHOWDOWN, Shootout, Rivalry, Texas-O.U., O.U.-Texas ... whatever name you call it, it's still one of the greatest rivalries in American sports.
The 111th edition of this classic football clash will take place on Saturday, Oct. 8, 2016, in the Cotton Bowl at Fair Park. Kick-off time: 11 a.m.
The matchups over the years are legendary:
- Texas coach Darrell Royal versus (his mentor) Oklahoma coach Bud Wilkinson.
- Oklahoma coach Barry Switzer versus Texas running back Earl Campbell (whom Switzer had tried to recruit).
- Oklahoma quarterback Jason White dissecting the Texas secondary with his passes, leading to a record 52-point margin victory (and the Heisman Trophy for White).
But when all is said and done, few argue the greatest matchup of all is always the Red River Showdown. You may know it as the Texas-OU game ... or the OU-Texas game (depending on which team you support).
Since 1900, it has become one of college football's most eagerly anticipated games. The game usually has conference championship significance and, sometimes, national championship significance. Since 1945, one or both of the two teams has gone into the contest ranked among the top 25 teams more than 90 percent of the time.
Meanwhile, The Dallas Morning News poll of 119 Division 1A football coaches resulted in the Texas-OU football game being named the third greatest college football rivalry of all time, behind Ohio State-Michigan and Army-Navy.
Adding to the game's pageantry is the fact it always takes place during the State Fair of Texas at Fair Park. And, three trophies get exchanged depending on the outcome of the game – the Golden Hat (a gold, ten-gallon cowboy hat); the Red River Showdown trophy (kept by the student government of the winning school); and the Governor's Trophy.
Few college games enjoy such prestige, excitement and turnout as does the Red River Showdown, which takes place each year in The Cotton Bowl.
Game tickets are difficult to come by and are purchased through each university’s athletic office.
A ticket to the 2016 Southwest Airlines State Fair Classic includes admission to the State Fair of Texas on game day.
- All Bags, including backpacks
- Purses that exceed 10” x 10”
- Medical Bags will be inspected upon entry
- All weapons of any sort
- Alcoholic beverages of any kind
- Artificial Noisemakers (bells, horns, kazoos, whistles, etc.)
- Banners, flags, flag poles, signs, umbrellas, etc.
- Cameras with detachable lenses greater than 10”. Video cameras and tripods
- Any explosive or flammable items
- Food & Beverages
- Any items deemed a safety hazard or annoyance (balls, balloons, firearms, fireworks, Frisbees, glass, hard plastic or metal water bottles, laser pointers, etc.)
- Pets (service dogs permitted)
- Tobacco products of any kind, including e-cigarettes
- Any type of seat cushions or chair backs
- Baby seats